Crushed red pepper, also known as "pul biber" in Turkish, is a type of spice obtained by grinding dried red peppers, which can be either hot or sweet. Widely used in Turkish cuisine, crushed red pepper not only adds flavor and aroma to dishes but also offers several health benefits.
Crushed red pepper is rich in antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties, thanks to the presence of the protective compound called capsaicin. These properties can help in preserving overall health by potentially assisting in the prevention of chronic conditions such as cancers, heart diseases, diabetes, and maintaining cell health. It also has elements that may aid in weight management.
Crushed red pepper can be used in various recipes and is particularly popular in Turkish cuisine. It can be used to add spiciness or sweetness to dishes and is suitable for salads, appetizers, and soups. Here's a recipe for Spicy Bulgur Pilaf:
Spicy Bulgur Pilaf Recipe:
2 cups fine bulgur
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 red bell pepper
1 tablespoon pepper paste
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
4 cups hot water
1. Place a pot on the stove and add olive oil.
2. Finely chop the onion and add it to the pot. Sauté until the onions turn pink.
3. Dice the red bell pepper and add it to the pot. Sauté for an additional 1-2 minutes.
4. Add the tomato paste and pepper paste. Stir well.
5. Add the bulgur and continue to stir.
6. Pour in the hot water, and add salt and crushed red pepper.
7. Cover the pilaf and let it simmer until all the water is absorbed.
8. Remove from heat and let it rest for 10-15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!